Tell us why in 300 words or less and you could win a spot in an exclusive reception sponsored by We Need Diverse Books!
TTBF and WNDB invite teens from diverse backgrounds (people of color, Native voices, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQIAP+ community or other underrepresented groups) to tell us why diverse books matter. We will select 25 respondents to attend an exclusive event at the festival on October 7th where authors, booksellers, and other front line members of the book industry will share advice and insight into the opportunities and possibilities that exist for book lovers of all backgrounds to forge a future in the world of books and publishing. Winners will also be invited to live blog their experience at the event and have their work published on the TTBF website. The book world needs all voices, and this is a great chance to find out how to get involved!
Please read all the guidelines below before submitting your entry.
- The WNDB Essay Contest is open to Texas residents aged 11-18 years.
- You must be a Texas resident to be eligible for this contest.
- This is an essay contest. Entries must be non-fiction essays.
- Entry is limited to one per person.
- Only single author entries qualify (no co-authors).
- Writing must be author’s original work and creation.
- To qualify, each entry must be submitted along with a fully completed entry form (linked below).
- The writer’s name should not appear anywhere within the document or in the document title.
- Each entry is limited to 300 words.
- No specific format is required.
- Acceptable file formats: .pdf, .doc, .docx, .rtf
- Save your electronic file using the following naming conventions:
- Example: DiverseVoices_SJM
All submissions must be received by 11:59pm on September 1, 2017.
Still have a question about the contest? Email us at email@example.com.
Winners will be notified on September 1 and will be invited to participate in the 2017 Texas Teen Book Festival on October 7, 2017 at St. Edward’s University.
Ready to submit your entry?
An invitation to an exclusive event at the Texas Teen Book Festival on October 7th.
An invitation to interview authors and have your work published on the TTBF website.
WNDB representatives along with the TTBF Programming committee consisting of booksellers, librarians, and book enthusiasts.